Hou Pu is the Chinese name of the bark of the Magnolia tree in the Materia Medica of Chinese Medicine. This notably aromatic bark is stripped from the roots, branches, and stems of the magnolia tree. It was around 100 C.E. (Common Era) when the bark of the magnolia tree was first mentioned and documented as a substance used in Traditional Chinese medicine. It is often used by Chinese medicine practitioners, Chinese herbal therapists, and acupuncturists alike for its therapeutic qualities for the treatment of diarrhea, vomiting, pain, and stomach distention. The bark of Magnolia can also boost the flow and amount of qi in the gastrointestinal area. This means the alleviation of stomach discomfort, bloating, and fullness for the acupuncture patient.
The healing properties of Magnolia bark decoction (Hou po wen shong tang) can help warm the middle region of the body. An herbal decoction made from this bark plus six other ingredients can provide remedy to people diagnosed with damp-cold inflicting harm on the stomach and spleen. This disharmony can develop when you eat too much foods and drink that are cold and uncooked, especially when they’re eaten during the colder months of the year. The quality of cold is to congeal, causing qi of the digestion to become blocked. As a result, symptoms such as diarrhea, fatigue in the extremities, a weak appetite, and a sense of fullness in the stomach may arise. The Magnolia bark decoction contains herbs that work in a synergistic fashion to mobilize the blockage, dry the unhealthy stagnation of fluids in the gastrointestinal tract, and warm the digestion.
Fortunately, Chinese medicine has the Magnolia bark in its arsenal. It is a very important asset that can restore healthy digestion from weak peristalsis (movement of substances in the digestive system) due to cold stagnation. An experienced and licensed Chinese medicine practitioner is well prepared to relieve any type of digestive issues. Dietary recommendations, Chinese herbs, and acupuncture in Fort Lauderdale can be a potent combination to nullify symptoms and to address the underlying problems surrounding digestive maladies.
With the quantum leap of technology these days, there are even better ways to prevent the rise of breast cancer. An alternative option one should consider is TCM or traditional Chinese medicine for the relief of side effects and pain and their recurrence after treatments such as radiation therapy or surgery.
TCM comprises the ancient therapies of herbal medicine, acupuncture and energy exercises. They all can be alternative ways to boost the health of the breasts of cancer patients after conventional treatments. Stress, anger, and other types of emotional distress may result in functional disorders of the spleen and liver that may cause lumps to develop in the breast that in turn lead to the recurrence or exacerbation of the symptoms after treatment. Acupuncture in Tarzana is deemed to be one of the most effective ways to help release stress and provide energy to the patient post treatment.
Herbal medicine can be used to help reduce cancer cells in the body. There are herbs that possess anticancer properties that can be used to eliminate toxins from the body. There are also herbs to boost immunity and herbs to prevent alterations. Tai Chi, Qi Gong and other energy exercises can help alleviate tension and stress in the body. All these treatments have proven effective in subduing the growth of cancer cells and in enhancing the lifestyle of a person.
Traditional Chinese medicine is one of the best therapies to consider if you’re searching for ways to increase the health of your breast and recovery faster after treatments. TCM decreases the recurrence of symptoms after treatment as well as the likelihood of developing breast cancer. Moreover, following a healthy lifestyle like doing exercises and quitting smoking can definitely improve the health of your breast.
Acupressure therapy is a regimen that has been practiced by the Chinese as far back as 1600 BC. When it comes to your hair, it can provide many benefits such as:
1. Removing skin debris and cells and dandruff
2. The elimination of toxins
3. Transporting oxygen to the scalp
4. Increased health of the blood
5. Enhanced flow of blood to the face and scalp
The above-mentioned benefits lead to the strengthening of your existing hair and stimulated growth of new hair. You can increase acupressure massage’s overall benefits by massaging the scalp with olive oil as the oil neutralizes a hormone associated with hair loss, Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) since the natural ingredients in olive oil can inhibit the development of Dihydrotestosterone on the scalp. So, using this oil to massage your scalp helps promote the growth of new hair internally and externally.
How to Do Scalp Acupressure Massage
1. Begin by twirling a lock of hair around your finger and gently pull it on its roots to activate the nerve endings.
2. An area on the scalp about six to eight widths above the eyebrows called the “the seat of bliss” is where you begin your massage. You might be able to feel that this area is a bit softer than the rest of your skull.
3. Gently massage the seat of bliss with circular strokes. Afterwards, massage the rest of the skull. As you move away from the seat of bliss, make your strokes a bit firmer.
4. As you start massaging the other parts of your head, be sure to include the occipital ridge as this is the area where the skull connects to the muscles. This area is found above the neck, on the hairline. It is where a potent acupressure point is located that can help relieve tension. This is an area where you can experience a deeper release of tension. Apply pressure with your fingers or thumb to this point and hold the pressure for a few minutes. After you release the pressure, you can start feeling your blood circulating more easily and after a short while, the tension starts to dissipate.
5. Use your fingers to draw a line with your finger down the middle of your scalp. In this line is where several acupressure points are located that can be stimulated with gentle pressure using your finger pads. When you reach the bottom of your hairline, stop the massage.
6. Next, focus your massage on the edge of the hairline that frames the face. Besides massaging these points to promote hair growth, they are also ideal spots to help alleviate stress.
7. All over your scalp, you can find acupressure points that can be therapeutically stimulated, so you need to make sure your finger pads are able to massage the entire area. The process of applying pressure can be repeated as many times as you want. When you feel the acupressure points loosening up a bit, repeat the process until you experience substantial relief.
8. By following these instructions, the circulation of oxygen and nutrients is forced upward towards the scalp spurring hair growth from the inside; in turn, the olive oil will help eliminate the buildup of DHT on the outside.
Other acupressure points that are as equally powerful as the seat of bliss point are located on your eyebrow’s inner corner, behind the ears, and in the jaw. To complement the massage therapy on the seat of bliss, those other points can be added to your daily massage regimen. Listed below is a guide on what points to use and the benefits that can be attained when you manipulate them.
The Occipital Ridge
You can find the occipital ridge at the back of the head where the spine meets the base of the skull. Along this area, muscles are attached that usually become cramped and tense when we are stressed or have been sitting for long periods of time. A rhythmical circular and slow massage or a strong stroking motion on the tense points of the occipital ridge will alleviate head, shoulder, and neck tension. Massaging often alleviates headaches extremely well that there’s no need for painkillers. When the stroking motion is performed, it helps promote the smooth flow of spinal fluid into the vertebrae resulting in significant relief of stress and a deep sense of wellbeing. When the points on the occipital ridge are massaged and stimulated, it boosts blood circulation to the scalp that in turn, can help spur the growth of new hair.
A lot of people may be surprised to know that acupressure massage in Boca Raton can stimulate the muscles connected to the jaw. The fact is these muscles constantly hold a tremendous amount of tension and unfortunately, most of us miss out on the fantastic benefits that can be gained in the stimulation of this specific acupressure point. Circulation to the facial muscles can be increased by massaging the jaw that increases the amount of nutrients into the muscles resulting in the prevention of wrinkles, a glowing and healthy skin, and enhanced muscle tone. The best way to massage the jaw is to allow the mouth to drop open and feel for areas that are tense. Once the tense points along the muscle connections are identified, start doing a circular and soft massage. Be gentle when starting, since for a lot of people, these tense points are usually very tender.
Massaging the temples in a circular manner is a popular way to cure a headache; but what many do not know is that this massage also increases blood circulation to the scalp and face, helping the skin obtain a healthy glow and encourages the growth of hair. The improved circulation to the face also prevents premature aging and fosters muscle tone. When done right, massaging the temples in a rhythmical fashion can relieve aches and loosen tension around the head and on the neck, as well.
The Inside of Your Brow Bone
If you’re extremely stressed or have spent too much time on the computer, you can experience tension headache that can be easily treated. Against the inside of your brow bone, gently press your forefinger or thumb and move it in a circular manner. At first, this point can be very sore and tense. If you press hard enough, the pain may be felt radiating from the eye socket down to the neck. Fortunately, after you’ve given this point a proper massage for 2 – 5 minutes, you can experience relief that follows the same pattern. The tightness and tension in your heads starts to loosen up and this feeling usually travels down along the eye socket and towards the jaw and neck.
Some Things to Remember:
1. Massaging the scalp just once will not generate new hair growth. To obtain results, you must do this every day.
2. To reduce stress, alternate between massaging acupressure points and long, relaxing strokes.
3. Massage can help detoxify the body; and to enhance the cleansing process, it is important to drink adequate amounts of water after a massage. This helps prevent muscle fatigue, headaches, and cramps.
4. All the above-mentioned tension points can be applied with consistent pressure for two minutes at a time. A deeper release can be achieved by “holding” points for an extended amount of time.
Moxibustion therapy is the burning of a Chinese mugwort plant to address hundreds of conditions and ailments. Mugwort is an herb with healing qualities that holds essential oils such as thujone or wormwood oil or cineole and is commonly used in traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese moxibustion to resolve a wide range of health problems.
Energy renewal as well as the depletion of vitality as one ages is typically the reason why illnesses begin to appear and arise in the body. Mugwort is an herb with medicinal properties that can help improve a person’s illness through heat and herbal essence generated and released by the mugwort during moxibustion therapy. Hence, the essential core of health maintenance in moxibustion theory is to prevent illness before it manifests any symptom.
Throughout history, practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) have promoted the benefits of moxibustion in the elimination of dampness, improvement of vitality and circulation, and enhancement of overall health and well being of a person.
The TCM technique of moxibustion stimulates healing through warmth and heat that emanates from a burning mugwort and applied by the practitioner directly or indirectly on the patient’s skin. The nature of the heat is utilized to produce a certain level of thermal stimulation effect. Depending on what type of ailment that’s being treated, moxibustion therapy is used on certain pressure points on the body to produce the most effective therapeutic effects. The therapy’s objectives are to stimulate the flow of vital energy known as qi or chi, boost vitality and to reinforce the flow of blood in the body.
Various health problems can be cured with moxibustion treatments. Because this procedure is dry and hot, it is very useful for several types of health conditions in which there are anomalies to the flow of chi. Moxibustion has been shown to help treat joint pain and arthritic conditions including osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. With regards to gynecological conditions (issues related to women’s health), it has been scientifically proven to resolve dysmenorrhea, female infertility, menstrual cramping, and PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) among others.
Moxibustion therapy can help increase overall blood flow in the body and boost the number of healthy red blood cells, hemoglobin, and white blood cells. It is used to alleviate stress, relieve menstrual pain, reduce pain and relax the muscles.
The therapy is also known to help treat conditions such as abdominal and digestive problems, depression, insomnia, and anxiety. It is known to work against diseases such as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and digestive enzymes related conditions. This form of heat therapy can also be a solution for tension headache, migraine, sciatica, low back pain, and even impotence, and poor sperm motility.
The Principle of Moxibustion: To Condition Health by Boosting Vitality
Thousands of years ago, imperial doctors have observed that as people reach the age of 40 and beyond, their energy levels start to weaken. Therefore, it is essential that from 30 years old onward, increasing energy restoration and vitality is crucial to guarantee general well being and a healthy body until old age.
Traditional moxibustion was widely practiced during the Song dynasty to maintain a healthy body and augment blood flow and vitality. The two most common uses of moxibustion treatment are as follows:
1. To provide a slow but deliberate therapeutic remedy for people with existing conditions.
2. To prevent the occurrence of illness by preserving a healthy person’s overall health and well-being.
Moxibustion is believed to treat disease by regulating and restoring the balance of the energy forces in the body. Good health is preserved when the body’s energy is in balance. To promote healing, this treatment, In fact, makes use of a thousand year old TCM principle founded on the System of Meridians.
As mentioned before, moxibustion is a form of heat therapy that is applied to the pressure points in the body. Moxa sticks (infused with herbal properties as well as mugwort) are specifically prepared to include aromatic and therapeutic essential oils to augment the healing effects of the heat from the moxa. The practitioner holds a burning moxa stick over the body providing the body with a warm stimulating effect to the pressure points. The heat and aroma help boost blood circulation leading to the release of natural feel-good chemicals in the body called endorphins that relieve pain and stress and loosen and relax tight muscles.
Types of Moxibustion Treatment
1. Moxa stick with herbal properties: Various herbal remedies are added to the moxa stick that provide tonifying, moving, and warming properties facilitating the smooth flow of chi, the building of blood, and overall enhancement of general health.
Moxa can be used to strengthen the body’s immune system and dispel cold and damp conditions from the body.
2. Pressure Points for Moxibustion Therapy (Not Using Needles): Identifying the location of the meridian (Jing Luo) and pressure points to treat health conditions and ailments.
This technique leads to the effective absorption of healing attributes of the herbs in the prepared moxa.
3. Volcanic Clay Application: Aids in oxidation, eliminates body odors, absorbs and then filters out heavy metals and toxins from the skin and entire body, absorbs debris and oil and transports them to the skin surface, stimulates blood circulation, and produces a healthy beautiful glow to the skin. Volcanic clay application is commonly used for the internal cleansing and detoxification of the entire body.
4. Essential Oils Application: Heals the body emotionally and mentally, directly works through our body chemistry that impacts the various systems of our body, and soothes and relaxes the body. The essential oils provide positive psychological effects to the person when inhaled.