Category Archives: Sedation Dentistry For Pain
It is unfortunate to see people trying to avoid dental visits due to fear of painful dental procedures. People who have had tooth extraction, the anesthetic injection in the gums and the tooth removal with dental pliers or root canal procedure seem to be experiences too traumatic to undergo all over again. Like it or not though, one will encounter tooth problems again and again at some point in one’s life and the need for dental care will always be needed then. This article will give tips in how to bear certain dental procedures.
- To relieve the fear a little when you are in a Fort Lauderdale dentist office, clench your fists even before you sit on a dental chair. People who do this say that it prepares you in advance for the inevitable painful procedure. Keeping your fists clenched and twitching your muscles can lessen the pain of painful dental treatments.
- People chant to strengthen their spirit. People who are used to chanting know it helps them relax and stay calm. This activity can also be helpful for the patient when they are undergoing dental operations or other painful and distressing procedures. You can recite the phrase, “I will not give in to pain or “Pain will not get the better of me.” Yes, it works for some people and it can also help you experience a lesser painful session. Meditation is also a good way to control pain and people who have practiced meditation for years experience less or even no pain at all during painful dental treatments.
- Howling or screaming loudly before the dental procedure can take away the tension which oftentimes becomes unbearable when you are in the midst of the procedure and causes the pain to be amplified even more. So before, the procedure begins, scream out loud or howl to minimize the pressure that can make the procedure even more distressing and painful.
- It is very helpful to engage your cosmetic dentist in a conversation during your treatment. Chatting makes your mind not focus on the procedure and helps you get better acquainted with your dentist. It can perk up your emotions and make you happy especially when you are engaged in a pleasant and happy conversation. Chatting with your cosmetic dentist can also build trust in him/her. It is a great way to spend the time during those unpleasant dental procedures and to help prevent the pain from becoming more pronounced.
- One practical and obvious way to take care of pain during dental procedures is to take pain medication an hour before your appointment or right before you enter the dentist’s office. It works most of the time. However, if you will undergo a procedure that entails the use anesthesia, it is not advisable to take painkillers since the painkillers can prevent the spread of the anesthetic numbness in the target site.