Most historians believe that acupressure originated in China over five thousands of years ago. There has been proof that it had been practiced as far back as the Stone Age!
The health benefits acupressure can provide include:
• Relief of postsurgical nausea and vomiting in children
• Relief of nausea in patients with cancer receiving chemotherapy
• When done properly, acupressure enables the body to relax, lessens pain and tension, and boosts circulation
• Promotion of well being
• Strengthening of the immune system
Acupressure can be used to alleviate anxiety and fear in pre-surgical care and in trauma victims. It is a much better treatment than physical therapy for a lot of individuals suffering from low back pain.
Ear acupressure can also help alleviate anxiety and stress. In treating recent injuries, infections, people with burns, and even pregnant women, extreme caution and special care is required. This type of treatment should be performed gently and slowly. Doing it in a vigorous and rapid manner can do some damage, especially in the stomach region.
Acupressure is a very safe treatment and you can administer it on yourself provided you adhere to the guidelines of an experienced acupressure therapist. You don’t need any special equipment to do it and it can be performed anywhere.
The following conditions can all be effectively addressed with acupressure:
• Arm, hand, and wrist pain
• Tension headaches
• Painful menses and PMS
• Hangover, weak libido, asthma, itching, and nose bleed
• Shoulder and neck pain
• Migraine headaches
• Earache, toothache, jaw pain
• Poor concentration and memory
• Morning sickness, pregnancy discomfort, hot flashes
• Abdominal pain, heartburn, diarrhea, constipation
• Voice loss, sinus infection, sore throat, flu, colds
• Urinary retention, incontinence, bed-wetting
• Foot pain, ankle pain, knee pain, hip pain, backache
• Nervousness, panic and anxiety attacks
• High blood pressure, heart palpitations, angina
To augment standard treatment you can learn to administer acupressure at home. This is particularly valuable when you are hit with pain or illness and you can’t get to the doctor soon.
Dr. Hailing Fu is a doctor or Oriental medicine and the founder of Ling’s Acupuncture in Orlando, FL. She has also served as professor and clinic director at the Florida College of Integrative Medicine in Central Florida. College of Integrative Medicine in Central Florida.